Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Estoy en Mexico!!

I have arrived. What a long journey. I left Seattle at 1150 en la noche and arrived in texas 4 am our time, 6 am their time. then flew out of texas at 8 and arrived in Mexico City at 11. From there it was customs and luggage claim. Then to find the bus. Which we found, bought our ticket and ate some Carls Jr. We took a three hour bus to Queretaro (and watched "Its Complicated" and "Eagle Eye"). Then I had to leave my travel buddy and take a taxi to my homestay. I cannot imagine having to drive in Mexico, they're maniacs! I think we almost died like 3 times. I helped my taxi driver learn to read since I only had the address written down, and I finally arrived at my homestay. My family consists of my mom, Lola, my dad, Javier, my sister Pamela?? who is 20 and my brother...whose name i cant recall who is 16. He speaks English fairly well and Lola tries really hard. Fortunately I speak just enough spanish to communicate with them and i can even pick up on some of the jokes. go me.
Mexico City was a huge culture shock for me. Here is what i learned today:
1. there are 24 MILLION people in Mexico City
2. donkeys roam free everywhere
3. dogs roam free everywhere
4. and 24 million people make quite a mess...
5. I was offered a job in the first like 15 minutes i was in Mexico City...a little awkward but whatever. haha

Queretaro is huge, which I wasn't really expecting...but its pretty cool. The weather is nice in my opinion; cloudy and cool. Perfect cuz otherwise I might die of heat exhaustion.

Side note: my brother plays piano and listens to american music...its pretty sweet. also my dad asked when my sister would be coming to visit so they could get married. I laughed really hard. HA

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, that is so exciting! I am soooo incredibly happy and giddy and excited for you, you will have a blast! I studied abroad in Mexico last summer, and it was the most amazing experience I have ever had! I was in Guadalajara, which you should TOTALLY visit if you get the chance, Guanajuato was also a georgous city so if you can get to either of those places, I want to see lots and lots of pictures! Have fuuuun, and enjoy those beans for breakfast:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safe and sound!! I thought I heard piano music in the background when you were on skype! Maybe you can play one of your piano songs, ho down would be a fun one! ha. Don't want to know what kind of job you were offered. And glad you know Spanish well enough to know when they are telling a joke and to communicate with the taxi driver. More than I could have done. I'm really proud of you! Takes a lot of courage and patience to do what you are doing! I'm sure you'll have some doubts at times wondering what you were thinking. I know I did when I went to Italy for 6 weeks. But hang in there it will be worth it in the end. Just be sure to take care of yourself. Eat, sleep, and drink lots of good water. ite a sight. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going to Guanajuato next weekend! I'm really excited!!!! Thanks Adrianna. Muchos gracias.

    ReplyDelete