Thursday, September 16, 2010

Celebrations and Bicentenario

On the 13th and 14th of I don't know how many years ago, there was a battle between the Mexican natives and the Spaniards. Legend has it that on those days, on a little hill 3 blocks from our house, there was a battle, and while this battle was happening, the Spaniards saw a cross in the sky, thus leading them to their victory. So on the 13th they celebrate by having the longest parade I have ever witnessed (and no I did not stay for the whole thing) where people in their full blown head-dresses and people in suits representing the spaniards would run around with machettes to signify the battle. And on the 14th they have a giant dance session up by the church/nunnery that now sits on that hill. There were at least 7 different groups of indigenous people dancing to the drums, it was amazing.

As for the 15th, as I said before, we celebrate the beginning of the guerra agaisnt the spanish government, so at 930, we went with the crazies and the maaaasses of people to Plaza de Armas where we waited, and waited, until 11 when they do the Grito (which means yell) where they yell viva mexico, and the fireworks. So at 11, the govornor comes out of the building and starts his speach to get people all kinds of rallied up. They start the grito, which wasn't what I expected and much shorter than I expected as well, and after, the fire work show. First there were some normal lookin fireworks a bit aways from us. And it lasted about a minute and a half, so we all turn to eachother like, "Was that it?" Then the most amazing (and most dangerous and fire hazardous) firework show begins literally right above us. Imagine a fairly small plaza, with thousands of people packed in, with buildings all around. Well those buildings are what they were shooting fireworks off of. Lets just say I got pelted in the face a couple of times with firework casings and soot in my eyes. Oh and a kids wig caught on fire. But it was by far, the coolest thing I had ever seen, I felt so giddy! I don't know the last time I actually felt giddy.

Today, the 16th, which is the actual day everyone has the day off and whatnot, there is not a whole lot going on. Today is recovery day for most people, but we will go to el centro and see what is going on because I'm sure not everyone is hung over. And with that being said, today is my last day here. Ive never been so excited and so sad all at the same time, ever. Today is a day of crepas and walking around to remember the town, and will probably be finished off at Aleph, our home away from home (its kinda sad that that home happens to be a bar though..)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing celebration albeit a bit dangerous. But somehow that doesn't surprise me much. Glad your hair didn't catch on fire!! And yes I'm sure today will be a bitter sweet day. The end of one chapter and the beginning of another. But what an awesome 8 weeks you've had and an experience of a lifetime. One you will never forget!! Cherish the remaining moments and take it all in one last time.

    ReplyDelete